Tuesday 12 November 2013

The Introduction


For my personal Study I decided to look into Tiki Style, I want to look into:
       Tiki in advertising
       Pop Art and Pin up girls in advertising
       Don the Beachcomber
       Picasso's African Period
While researching for bar designs for my coursework I came across theTiki Phenomenon  and its Hawaiian design styles. From Furniture to sculptures, from Paintings to CD covers, Tiki style is wide ranging. I like how it is influenced by so many things, its cultural and religious backround, the Hawaiian way of living and ultimately America  which brought it from there to their own country.

Futher it just represents an easy, happy life in a warm country surrounded by the beach, pretty girls, bamboo and Rum cocktails. This is in my opinion what made it so popular, and still does. It gives People the opportunity of escaping their daily life and seem to have a few hours holiday on Hawaii. When american soldiers returned from the second World War they brought stories about Hawaii and South pacific souvenirs back to America, which was the start of the interest inTiki. 

It was their way of coping with the war and the difficult memories connected with it, to see something positive in their terrible experiences. 



No comments:

Post a Comment